sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] [openpgp-email] Keyservers and GDPR

From: holger krekel
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] [openpgp-email] Keyservers and GDPR
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2018 18:57:15 +0100

On Tue, Nov 06, 2018 at 17:57 +0100, Volker Birk wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 06, 2018 at 05:27:14PM +0100, Andy Mueller-Maguhn wrote:
> > I do roughly recal that such a verification process has been discussed for
> > the SKS keyservers at one of the pgp-summit before, but i wonder what
> > happened to the idea. However, if it that is “good enough” to be compliant
> > with the GDPR i can´t say, but this sounds like a good idea in any case.
>
> I'm not of the opinion that key servers are a good idea at all. It's
> a pity that people still follow this wrong idea.

I happen to be similarly skeptical of key servers and don't want
to spend much effort with helping to evolve the concept.
I might be wrong, though, and there are good uses that solve real
security issues for people.  When i say "real security issues"
i mean those who otherwise are oppressed and imprisoned for real,
not in some potentiality.  It's about real outcomes for people
and not some security ideal.

Some folks certainly think key servers are useful and i respect them.
And also, who knows, i might be missing something.  I admit that
so far the arguments pro key servers (eg revocation) have
not made me lean more towards going for it.

holger