sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Dump

From: Jonathan Wiltshire
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Dump
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 13:04:12 +0100

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 10:25:41PM -0500, John Clizbe wrote:
> Yes, Chris. It would, especially after losing Peter's site. It would also be
> great if we could expand the number of sites offering keydumps so Marco's site
> doesn't have to bear all of the traffic.

Absolutely agree, and by chance I was already in the middle of preparing
regular dumps from my server anyway.

I had two motivations:
 - sharing some of the load, especially since we've already seen that this
   service can vanish very quickly otherwise
 - I struggled to find a good and recent dump when I first set up my box.
   I found plenty of advice on how to import the dump, and how to set up
   gossip sync, but no actual locations for *doing* this.

> The biggest hurdle to setting up a keyserver is the initial populating of the
> nearly 2.9M keys. It's perfectly reasonable to list sources for where to get
> the
> initial data dump at the same place one gets the software. Granted, not that
> many actually get SKS from the GoogleCode site -- most are installing a .deb
> or
> .rpm via a package manager, but a central source for tech help needs to exist
> and there's not really a better choice than the project's own pages.

I'm happy to take on preparing a patch for the Debian package with
instructions on where to find this list, but it will be too late for the
next release now.

--
Jonathan Wiltshire

4096R: 0xD3524C51 / 0A55 B7C5 1223 3942 86EC  74C3 5394 479D D352 4C51