sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] keyserver.pramberger.at terminating

From: Ryan
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] keyserver.pramberger.at terminating
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 11:56:56 -0600

I think a local blacklist is the way to go.

Re-reading peter's termination notice it sounds like nothing has gone through
his local legal system, the user is just threatening to and peter does not wish
to go to court.

Weather or not its in the database, if the user causing these issues cant
retrieve that info from Peter's server I would think that would satisfy him
enough to prevent a legal injunction against Peter and his key server.

So far the courts have not told anyone to permanently remove a key from any of
our key-servers, and while a blacklist to prevent serving that key may not
satisfy such a court order, I have a feeling it would satisfy anyone
threatening legal action. Its obvious they don't understand how sks works, so I
doubt anyone will question if the key is still on the network or not if the
node they have been harassing refuses to serve it.

A local blacklist would not interfere with trust, the key would still be on the
network and would remain unmodified.. it would just be the discretion of the
local key-server operator if the key can be served via hkp.

Distributing these blacklists/key-deletes beyond the local server introduces a
bunch of issues I don't think were going to get a solid agreement on. That idea
just seems like a bad can of worms.

I do fear once its technically possible to blacklist a key were going to see
alot of baseless threats just because is been proven to work. This is where we
all need to take a firm stance and not actually give in to these requests until
there is serious threat of litigation or an actual injunction served.

Regards,
-Ryan