sks-devel

[Sks-devel] Berkeley DB db-5.0.21 released (and keys.rpm5.org)

From: Jeff Johnson
Subject: [Sks-devel] Berkeley DB db-5.0.21 released (and keys.rpm5.org)
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 12:58:52 -0400

First the administrivia:
        keys.rpm5.org
rather than
        keys.jbj.org
is now the "official" name for my SKS keyserver.

Note that the change is really a back-handed compliment:
        My SKS keyserver has been running without intervention
        for 30+ days, no fuss, no muss. That's a seriously
        good job of SKS engineering, kudo's to everyone who did
        the implementation, Berkeley DB is an annoying & painful API.

Second (and development related):

Berkeley DB db-5.0.21 (aka "Berkeley DB 11gR2 (11.2.5.0.21)" in Oracle-speak)
was released last week:
        http://www.oracle.com/database/berkeley-db/
What is likely of interest to SKS-devel is that db-5.0.21 includes
a sqlite3 "wrapper layer" onto Berkeley DB now.

So if you wish to migrate SKS from BerkeletDB -> sqlite3, there is most
definitely
a seamless transparent pathway to do so that starts like:
        1) upgrade to db-5.0.21
        2) figure the additional sqlite3 SQL needed to permit _BOTH_ SQL and
        Berkeley DB "CRUD" access to the underlying storage.
        3) rewrite (the OCAML) to use the SQL rather than the "CRUD" interface.
        4) flip out Berkeley DB and use "traditional" sqlite3 instead.

I've just spent the last week doing "due diligence" against the "CRUD"
interface.
I know that db-4.8.26 -> db-5.0.21 is "drop-in".

I also know that 4.6.x -> 4.7.x -> 4.8.x -> ... are "no-brainer" upgrades. WHich
means that both of these statements are TRUE:
        There's no reason to upgrade.
and
        There's no impediment to upgrading.

(aside)
I've also just "embedded" both "traditional" and "Oracle-confused" sqlite3
@rpm5.org,
and so I know way more (than I wish to ;-) about sqlite3 in db-5.0.21. I'm
headed
for the "dual access" model, where sqlite3 SQL and the BDB "CRUD" interface
can/will
interoperate. The effort will take another 2-3 weeks, but I can share details on
what is needed if asked. Note work-in-progress please ...

I can/will also attempt an upgrade to db-5.0.21 if that helps SKS development.
Just ask, and I will attempt and report details ... I expect "drop-in" from
everything I am seeing (but I haven't tried with SKS).

fyi

73 de Jeff