sks-devel

Re: [Fwd: Re: [Sks-devel] Alternative to round-robin (was Re: pool.sks-k

From: Jeff Johnson
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [Sks-devel] Alternative to round-robin (was Re: pool.sks-keyservers.net having trouble?)]
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 15:17:19 -0400

On Apr 6, 2010, at 2:37 PM, David Shaw wrote:

> Just rig it up similarly to how DNS does it.  Rank things in order of
> performance, and then artificially penalize the fastest ones on each
> iteration until they aren't the fastest any more.  Then repeat.  The goal
> isn't perfection - it's just to be better than round robin :)

No disagreement that "round robin" isn't feeble, even if "fair".

It would certainly be nice if there was some means to get at DNS
metrics from outside.

Off the top of my head (i.e 2minutes of thought), I can't think of
an easy way to get at those DNS metric "innards" in spite of
having used DNS professionally for like 30 years.

But I'm sure there's something that could be hacked up and whacked together,
there always is in uglix ;-)

73 de Jeff