sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Secure packaging

From: David Shaw
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Secure packaging
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 14:46:59 -0500

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 08:38:02PM +0100, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Dec 2003, Dan Egli wrote:
>
> > > Distribute a detached signature alongside the tarball.
>
> > The best method I actually ever saw, albeit a bit paranoid, was to md5
> > sum the file, then NON-detached sign the md5 file.
> >
> > here's an example from the Knoppix linux distrubitions
> >
> > 8f841bae907f828ed7a36a0213746ab1 *KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso
>
> Why would this be better?  It requires more steps to create, it requires
> more steps to verify, and it adds nothing from a security PoV.

It's useful if the item you are distributing is larger than one
"file".  For example, Red Hat distributes 6 or more ISOs for each
release, and instead of making a detached signature for each, they MD5
all of them in a single file and sign that file.

It's not a security thing.  Just a convenience thing.  There is no
benefit if there is only one file being distributed.

David