sks-devel

[Sks-devel] Warning about "sks build": slow status page creation

From: Yaron M. Minsky
Subject: [Sks-devel] Warning about "sks build": slow status page creation
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 04:57:38 -0500

sks.dnsalias.net is currently running an "sks build" based database
build rather than a "sks fastbuild" based build.  One interesting side
effect I've just noticed is that computing the number of keys in the
datbaase has gotten VERY slow --- it now takes 2.5 hours!  The problem
here is that counting the number of keys requires iterating over the
key-hash-to-key database, which is quite large -- about 4 gigs on my
machine.

This is something I should be able to fix by changing the algorithm for
computing the size of the database, going over the keyid index rather
than the main database.  (In retrospect, an obvious fix).

|--------/            Yaron M. Minsky              \--------|
|--------\ http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/yminsky/ /--------|

Open PGP --- KeyID B1FFD916
Fingerprint: 5BF6 83E1 0CE3 1043 95D8 F8D5 9F12 B3A9 B1FF D916