sketch-devel

Re: GUI design of 0.7

From: Joel Biddier
Subject: Re: GUI design of 0.7
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 13:46:26 -0800

C. Ecker wrote:

I did think about the toolbox and came to one conclusion: I should keep my
hand from things I am really bad in. Further, it is not worth thinking too
deep about that. It takes only some minutes to change it and is really
just the look.
I'm no expert myself. But the idea here is that we need not be. As you say, this is cosmetic and can change.

More important is to clarify the conceptional questions so that we can
start coding:

- What buttons do we need at all ? My idea was that there should be no
buttons at the document window and that all frequent operations should
have buttons (undo/redo, selection, drawing tools, grouping, stacking,
dublicate, ...). The user should be able to do the common things without
touching the keyboard.
Yes, I also am reconsidering having a buttons on the document window. But the issue is then where do you put all the buttons? I'm a stuck on this - they have to go somewhere. The main toolbax may not be able to accommodate all the buttons and still have an esthetic look. Again Sodipodi is the example that always comes to my mind. But some may like that UI, so it is just a matter of taste. And this can change. I'm not fervent on the look as it may seem. It you go with the Sodipodi look, Im OK with it.

- Do we want CSDI or not ? (I do not like that term anyway)
Again, I am neutral on this. You or Bernhard should decide and go with it, seeing that once you do, it's done (no going back).

- The role of the toolbox as main window
That will depend on CSDI/MDI ... , and where we put the buttons. Figure that out and the toolbox may follow (maybe ;-) ).

- ...
matrix like organization, grouped, structured by
leaving some cells empty.
We should fill the blanks in this case.  I'm only putting ideas out there.

You need not  take what I say to heart.
If a suggestion is usefull use it, if not, don't . That's the best practice. Remenber you are coding, I am only yelling form the side lines ;-).

It is my (off the hip) feeling to use multiple menus, but many of them
tabbed. I did use Illustrator alot in the past (professionally). So I am
Do you mean "menues" or "panels" ? In the current 0.7 there are some
panels with tabs and I changed them to single panels mainly because
of drag and drop (e.g. from property stack to named styles panel) and
because single panels somehow appear "cleaner" to me.

I most likely mean menus (Fill, Line, ...). You are the main programmer here, so I say if you like the single panels (i.e. Fill panel separate from Line panel) go with that.

I am only suggesting ways of conserving screen real estate. This is also the idea behind a two (or three max. Hence, groups of 2,4,6... and 3,6,9...) column grid. It conserves the maximum amount of screen real estate. Note that everything is square. So, if the main panel is wide, you loose all the space beneath it (assuming the main panel is not always on top, which in the case of say CDE, it may not be).

--J