sketch-devel

Re: GUI design of 0.7 - one more thing...

From: Pieter Edelman
Subject: Re: GUI design of 0.7 - one more thing...
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:19:57 +0100

On Wednesday 10 November 2004 22:05, Joel Biddier wrote:
> On the "the application is the toolbar" concept:
>
> That is why I also think a little bimap of the Skencil logo (and clouds)
> should be on the toolbar. I did not just do that to "copy" Adobes GUI
> model.
>
> --J

The logo and clouds had occured to me, and I think it is very good indeed.

I thought of more thing which we might have to take into account. What really
bugs me in the 0.6 Skencil series is that all scripts go in the "Script"
menu. I think this is plainly wrong, as some scripts provide basic
enhancements to Skencil and should placed in the appropriate context. For
example, the image render scripts should be placed in the "file" menu. For
plugins, something similar can be said, albeit to a less extent.

Everybody's needs differ, and some scripts/plugins might be needed on a more
than regular basis (autoshapes and pathutils spring to mind). It makes sense
to create a toolbar button for them as well (if we ever decide where to put
the toolbar ;-).

So I think it is really important to let the script choose where to put itself
in the menu (and maybe toolbar). Even better would be to let the user
customize the toolbar, like most modern applications do. For example, I have
removed the "print" button from the OpenOffice toolbar as I don't have a
printer, instead there is the PDF-export button which I use much more
frequently.

What do you all think? Should Skencil dictate where all buttons and menu
entries are, or should third-party developers also have their say?

Pieter
--
Like science? Like cartoons? Wicked...
http://funnybynature.com/