sketch-devel

Re: GUI design of 0.7

From: Joel Biddier
Subject: Re: GUI design of 0.7
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 16:07:26 -0800

I just joined the devel-list today. So, I may be behind on what is going on..

I printed your PDF proposal for a new GUI. This is exactly the kind of thing I was discussing earlier (perhaps in an around about way). Basically, let's not just work with what currently exist, but work toward what we want. You put a lot of good thought into your proposal.

It will take me some time to digest all the points made in your proposal. Hence, give me a couple of days for a response (that is, one worthy of the proposal).

I can briefly respond to the first part of your proposal: Toolbox. I have to say that I agree with you on all the major points. You do a good job of making a comparison to Gimp, I felt the same way when I used the development version (some time ago.). Not having a blank canvas on startup is a bit annoying. (I'll comment on this more later.)

As for the proposed variants, I also do not feel very happy with them. To make a comparison, they are much like Sodipodi – which has one very large cluttered main “toolbox” (much in the same vain as xfig.). Inscape is much like kontour in it's look (but basicaly Sodipodi underneath.). I have yet to form an opinion on that GUI – off hand, I don't hate it, but I don't like it much. The current skencil GUI is in the spirit of earlier versions of CorelDraw.

It is my (off the hip) feeling to use multiple menus, but many of them tabbed. I did use Illustrator alot in the past (professionally). So I am a bit tainted on this topic of GUIs. I also used CorelDraw at that time – perhaps why I am comfortable with the current Skencil GUI. I will look over your requirements and see what I can come up with and we (i.e. all) can bounce variants (or even entirely new ideas) back and forth, until all (at least most ;-) ) feel comfortable with the look.

Again, I will get back to you on all the points you make in your proposal.

You did a good job on your proposal; this is the kind of organization we need at this stage of the game. Unfortunately, you raise the bar in how we exchange proposals and I may not be that “all together” yet ;-) (so don't expect too much from me...).

PS

I used the development version in the past and had no problem installing it. But the current CVS I got, will not install at all? Can one of you help me on this, I would really like to look over the GUI and other aspects of the development version. If not the current code an older development code (on that has Pax - I know that one works for me.)

--J