sketch-devel

Re: Repost: GTK+2, plugins and multi-page documents

From: Bernhard Herzog
Subject: Re: Repost: GTK+2, plugins and multi-page documents
Date: 19 Jul 2003 23:01:36 +0200

David Boddie <address@hidden> writes:

> Bernhard, list readers,
>
> > [in private mail which I think should have gone to the list, so I hope
> > it's OK to reply to the list]
>
> No problem. I have to ssh into a machine a few hundred miles away and use
> pine if I want to post to the list. Using an intermediary is much easier. ;-)

Doesn't KMail have a way to reply to all instead of just the sender? If
your mail gets stuck in mailman because you're posting from an address
you're subscribed with I'll add it to the list non-member addresses that
can post without being subscribed (in fact I did so recently with your
mcs.st-and.ac.uk address).

> [Multipage documents and plugin GUIs]
>
> > The plugin should still be usable without a GUI so that command line
> > tools can use it too and to make automatic testing easier.
>
> This could be achieved with a simple change to the plugin interface and
> optional/keyword arguments in the __init__ methods of extended plugins.

That part already supported. The objects representing a plugin, for
instance the objects returned by find_export_plugin, can be called to
"execute" the plugin. For an import filter all positional and keyword
parameters are passed to the clasn. Export filters have an optional
"options" parameter which can be a dictionary with parameters (see the
pdfgensaver for an example).

What I actually had in mind was to make sure that the dialog code which
will probably import gtk should only be imported when it's really needed
so that automatic tests don't require an X connection simply because
they import gtk.

> [Patches]
>
> Thinking about this: there's only one file which has remained in the same
> location; all the other files are either new or have moved to new places in
> the directory structure. Ideas?

It may be easier to just send me the files after all :)

   Bernhard

--
Intevation GmbH                                 http://intevation.de/
Sketch                                 http://sketch.sourceforge.net/