sketch-devel

Re: GL canvas

From: Bernhard Herzog
Subject: Re: GL canvas
Date: 21 Jun 2003 20:37:05 +0200

Adrien Demarez <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello
> (sorry for my poor english, I'm French !)

No need to apologize! It's actually very good English AFAICT.

> As I recently bougth an OpenGL HW accelerated card and saw its
> advantages, I wondered why canvases projects generally didn't make use
> of these features. I know the enlightenment project (e17) has made a
> canvas called evas that can make use of OpenGL hardware acceleration so
> my question is : why not use this (or OpenGL directly) in Sketch as all
> the dirty work is already done ? (and this could bring easily alpha
> transparency features in Sketch. Note that evas can fall down to a
> software implementation faster than Mesa for 2D if no hardware
> acceleration is available).

Well, Sketch has enough depencies as is and adding another one will make
it even harder to install. However, there could be room for an optional
OpenGL based renderer in 0.7.x, if somebody is willing to do the work.
Sketch 0.7 already has two renderers, the gdk-based one and the libart
based one.

> Another point : I know you have started to work on a GTK version, but
> (as it seems to be less known) I also wanted to point there is another
> great toolkit called fox (www.fox-toolkit.org) that is much more
> portable (and LGPL), and of course has Python bindings. Perhaps it is
> too late to consider it now but I still wanted to propose it...

Yeah, it's a little late. Switching to yet another toolkit will not help
Sketch development at all.

   Bernhard

--
Intevation GmbH                                 http://intevation.de/