Re: [Simulavr-devel] [bug #42595] Faulty swig version number comparison

From: ThomasK
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] [bug #42595] Faulty swig version number comparison
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 20:23:39 +0200

Hi Ryan,

this is a problem (or maybe a feature) of autotools scripts, which we use too in our project. The script compare major and minor version (e.g. 1 and 3) as EQUAL and only the patchlevel (here 18) is compared to equal or greater. For the rel-1.0 branch (which you use with version 1.0.0) you have to have swig in version 1.3.x where x can be equal or greater 18. In current trunk (master branch) we check at first for 2.0.x and then, as fallback, for 1.3.x.

If you want, there is a quickfix: change configure.ac file and there the line "AC_PROG_SWIG(1.3.18)" to "AC_PROG_SWIG(3.0.0)". (and then ./bootstrap again!) Then swig in version 3.0.x is accepted on configure.

But the next question: does it work (in best case without changes) for swig 3.0.2? A change in major and minor version implies normally a change, which could break the build against the "old" swig files. And the current linux distros are on 2.0.x. So we doesn't support 3.0.x in the moment! (which means: nobody knows, if it works or not!)

So you can try it (with the quickfix) and, if you like, report the result here. (use ./configure; make; make check)

cu, Thomas