Re: [Simulavr-devel] Discussion: siminfo feature as proposed by Markus H

From: Michael Hennebry
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Discussion: siminfo feature as proposed by Markus Hitter
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 13:19:58 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 2 Mar 2014, Klaus Rudolph wrote:

Was the idea to simplify the usage of all the tools?

It is easier to give:

avr-gcc -g -O2 -mmcu=atmega16 -o fred.elf
-Wl,--section-start=.siminfo=0x900000 fred.c

instead of including only a header file?

The given command line looks much more complicated than the command line
for simulavr itself with needed info parms.

I dislike this solution! Manually adding linker infos on the command
line is never an option for me. Introducing such very secial solutions
to "simplify" the usage of simulavr looks not the perfect way :-) So
please do not introduce this feature in that way. It is terrible!

That is why Odin invented make files and wrapper scripts:
LDFLAGS+= -Wl,--section-start=.siminfo=0x900000
or
simulavr-gcc:
avr-gcc -Wl,--section-start=.siminfo=0x900000 "$*"

--
Michael   address@hidden
"SCSI is NOT magic. There are *fundamental technical