Re: [Simulavr-devel] Which libbfd to use?

From: Joel Sherrill
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Which libbfd to use?
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 09:52:47 -0500

ThomasK wrote:
Hi,

Onno told me, that there was a discussion about libbfd, an which to use on configure. (I havn't found this discussion in archive)

The problem, which I had (Ubuntu 9.04 with package binutils and binutils-avr installed) is, that the include was used for compiling from binutils-avr, which is version 2.18 and then later on linking all together it was linked with the libbfd from binutils, which is version 2.19. Linking is possible without errors, but any action, which uses libbfd-functions will end in a segfault.

So my question is now, does libbfd have special functions for avr? Or it is possible to use also ANY available libbfd and of course the header file for the same version?

My understanding is that you can use the native libbfd
compiled for your host.    I recall there were discussions
of this earlier on the list when I was first hacking on
the autoconf setup earlier this year.

--joel
cu, Thomas