[Simulavr-devel] structural change of source code

From: Knut Schwichtenberg
Subject: [Simulavr-devel] structural change of source code
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 21:50:43 +0100

Klaus and Bill,

while exploring the depth of simulavrxx I came across 2 issues with the source
code structure.

First: structure of creation of simulavrxx command line and GUI version.
Currently the whole bunch of object files of the src-directory are linked into
command line executable. Afterwards the same bunch of objects (except one) are
linked together with the swing interfaces to the GUI version. On my opinon it
would be much clearer for understanding the toolbox concept of simulavrxx if the
base components of simulavrxx are linked as a library (all objects except
main.o) and in a second linking step this lib is linked together with main.o to
the command line program and with the swig-I/F to the GUI version. The real
benefit for any other developers is if they want to use a different interpreter
I/F it becomes much simpler. And of course the structure becomes more clear.

Second: The src directory consists of the AVR-core-simulation S/W, GDB-I/F and
let's call it the "environment". Also to improve the understanding it would be
much better to separate the environment from the AVR-core-simulation S/W and
GDB-I/F. My proposal would be to create a subdirectory and move the environment
into this.

My proposals have some drawbacks which are base in additional work and the
limitations of CVS. But a clear understandable structure would be a real benefit
for this project.

Any comments are welcome.

Knut