sed-devel

Fw: usage of local sed version in Makefile

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Fw: usage of local sed version in Makefile
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2018 17:16:06 -0600

(forward from a private message)

----- Forwarded message from project-repo <address@hidden> -----

I was wondering if there is a reason as to why the Makefile attempts to
use the local sed built in the current directory before trying to use
the installed sed version. Since sed seems to be a dependency for the
configure script as well as the bootstrap script, it can be assumed that
a systemwide installation of sed does exist. Furthermore, when the
source files of the local sed are changed or if the local sed version
does not run as expected, this behaviour can cause the build to abort in
some weird ways. For example, the bug I reported a few minutes ago was
first discovered when the build failed and told me something about
missing options. I would therefore recommend relying on the installed sed
version for compilation unless I have overlooked something which makes
the current approach more favourable. What do you think?

cheers,
project-repo