sed-devel

Re: fix memory leaks and enable ASAN/UBSAN

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: fix memory leaks and enable ASAN/UBSAN
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2018 16:13:35 -0600

Hello,

Thanks for the review.

On 06/08/18 02:04 AM, Jim Meyering wrote:
On Sun, Aug 5, 2018 at 7:12 AM, Assaf Gordon <address@hidden> wrote:

Attached few patches that fix memory leaks.
Most are not critical, and only enabled with DEBUG_LEAKS.
But one does need review, I suspect it is a runtime leak.

Did you consider using the "lint" cpp symbol, along with its IF_LINT
for single-line suppressions? That is what coreutils does. Spurious
leaks are just another type of "lint" after all.

Good point.
"DEBUG_LEAKS" was introduced in 1999 (based on the ChangeLog).
The attached patch replaces all instances of DEBUG_LEAKS with lint.

Re your question in "sed: fix memory leak", I agree: that is indeed a
real leak, and worth fixing unconditionally. Good catch.

Thanks for looking into that.
The updated patch makes it unconditional.

comments welcomed,
 - assaf