sed-devel

Re: Improving sed's manual

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: Improving sed's manual
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2016 12:56:41 -0800

On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 12:33 PM, Assaf Gordon <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've started working on improving sed's manual.
> It's far from complete, but feedback is welcomed.
>
> Generally, I'm aiming for the following:
> 1. Many more examples, embedded throughout the text.
> 2. examples are as self-contained as possible (e.g. including full command
> line, and
> input and output where it's not obvious what the output should be)
> 3. expand regexp section, make ERE a standard section (not an appendix)
> 4. burrow several regexp sections from 'grep', and adjust for sed (e.g.
> bracket expressions)
> 5. an "overview" at every new chapter, written with simple examples
>
> not-copmleted-yet:
> 6. reorder command lists differently (e.g. not "commands for SED gurus", but
> more like "branching and flow control commands")
> 7. expand and document locale effects
> 8. expand on sed's advanced topics (e.g. buffers, cycles, etc.) but move it
> to a later point in the manual.
>

> To save space, I'm not attaching the large patch.
> It is available here (messy commits, not finalized):
>   https://housegordon.org/sed-manual/sed-doc-2016-11-25.patch.xz
>

> Compare new-vs-current "table of content" (and the entire manual):
>   https://housegordon.org/sed-manual/sed-current.html#SEC_Contents
>   https://housegordon.org/sed-manual/sed-new.html
>
> Please disregard the CSS, it is a temporary style that just slightly nicer
> than the default 'make info' output.
>

> Comments are very welcomed, both in phrasing/grammar/spelling and in
> content/organization.

Great!  Thank you for all of that.
I will make a point of looking through it in the next couple of days.

By the way, as soon as gnulib's dfa module is ready for the upcoming
grep release, I would like to make a sed release, so if you have any
non-documentation pending changes that you would like to see included,
please let me know.