Fwd: screen - bash history

From: Jürgen Weigert
Subject: Fwd: screen - bash history
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 10:15:34 +0100

I don't think, that increasing the history buffer in bash is sufficient.

One cause of data loss not yet discussed here is the user's .history file itself.
Normally users work in one shell, and when that exits, bash saces its history there, so that the next shell the user runs can read from there.
With screen, one user has often multiple bash running concurrently, and when screen exits, all bash processes are exiting simultaneously,
and each of them is updating the same .history file.

This can lead to data loss, if the data coming from each of them is not serialized properly.
See
- https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/1288/preserve-bash-history-in-multiple-terminal-windows
- https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/88838/preserve-tcsh-history-in-multiple-terminal-windows

(The tcsh history merge feature was especially implemented to handle serialization from multiple shells exiting simultaneously. But that was decades ago.
I cannot judge how reliable the shells are in these edge cases.)

cheers, JW-