Re: Using screen

From: Chris Jones
Subject: Re: Using screen
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 18:31:28 -0400

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 02:30:15PM EST, david kerns wrote:
> just type screen ... if you're in a brand new window with no other text..
> you may not notice the subtly
> hit return a few times on a new window.. then type screen .. should be a
> fresh window.. then exit, and you'll get your old screen back (as screen
> exits)
>
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 12:24 PM M.R.P. zensky <wintermute24x7@icloud.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello I have installed screen on linux but how do you start screen?

Like he said... just type screen in a terminal and see what happens.

Now if you wonder how to GET STARTED with GNU screen... you could save
the attached file to (e.g.) /tmp/screenrc and start playing with a very
basic screen session by typing:

$ screen -c /tmp/screenrc

You should now have ten windows numbered 0-9 and a line at the bottom of
the screen as a reminder with the window that's currently active
highlighted.

Commands that you could try out¹:

<CTRL>+<spacebar> + ?           # display current keybindings
<CTRL>+<spacebar> + n           # switch to next window
<CTRL>+<spacebar> + p           # switch to previous window
<CTRL>+<spacebar> + 0           # switch to first window
<CTRL>+<spacebar> + 1           #        to 2nd   window etc.
<CTRL>+<spacebar> + "           # display window list (j,k to navigate
                                # <enter> to select highlighted window)
<CTRL>+<spacebar> + <spacebar>  # switch back to previous window
<CTRL>+<spacebar> + c           # create new window
<CTRL>+<spacebar> + [           # enter copy/paste mode

<CTRL>+<spacebar> + DD          # one way to disconnect session

$ screen -R                     # one way to reconnect to your session

<CTRL>+<spacebar> + :quit       # to terminate/kill your screen session

... and all importantly:

$ man screen

... which has a detailed explanation for all the commands that are
available.

If you find the attached sample config file useful you could then make
it your default ~/.screenrc file and customize it to your requirements
as you learn new stuff.

Otherwise there tons of more elaborate GNU screen config files floating
around that you can review and use as a starting point!

CJ

¹ I find <CTR><Space> convenient hitting the spacebar with my thumb
  while I'm holding the Control key... but you can use the default
  <CTRL>a or any other combo that you fancy by editing the line that
  says 'escape' beginning of the sample config file.