Re: Cursor problems with some applications in linux console

From: David Woodfall
Subject: Re: Cursor problems with some applications in linux console
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 21:29:03 +0100

On Monday 15 October 2018 21:26,
Jostein Berntsen <address@hidden> put forth the proposition:

> What do you get for output when running "echo $TERM" in the plain linux
> console?
>
> Can you get input from this page?
>
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Text-Terminal-HOWTO-16.html
>
> and this?
>
> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/220330/hide-and-unhide-cursor-with-tput
>
> Jostein

Thanks for the links.

TERM is set to 'linux', or 'screen.linux' in screen when I mostly use
those apps.

tput cnorm sets the cursor back to the default, so maybe cnorm is
being set. According to infocmp for linux, cnorm is set to \E?25h.
Screen has an extra \E[34h at the start. I'll experiment a bit and
see what happens if I change it.

--
Dave

Audience: What will become of Linux when the Hurd is ready?
Eric Youngdale: Err... is Richard Stallman here?
  -- From the Linux conference in spring '95, Berlin