Opening vim in new xterm+screen window in same session

From: ધયાનેશ
Subject: Opening vim in new xterm+screen window in same session
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 17:05:00 +0530

Hi

I typically have a single screen session to which I connect using screen -x. Whenever I want to edit a file with vim, I'd like to:

1. Open a new xterm.
2. Connect to the screen session.
3. Create a new screen window and start vim in it.

Ideally I'd like the following command to work (from within a screen session):

xterm -e screen vim foo.cc

However, it partially works, the new xterm is created and has the STY variable. Thus screen opens a new window in that same session and starts vim. However, the new xterm window doesn't connect to that session. Any thoughts on why this happens? I'm using screen version 4.02.

Thanks,

Dhyanesh