Re: Scrollback and other commands don't work

From: Alex
Subject: Re: Scrollback and other commands don't work
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 20:38:21 -0400

Hi,

On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 7:24 AM, David T. Pierson <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 02:59:06PM -0400, Alex wrote:
> I does recognize some of my ~/.screenrc settings, including my keybindings.
> Could it have something to do with my version of gnome-terminal? Scrollback
> works in the terminal alone, when screen isn't running...

The way you have worded this makes me wonder whether what you are
referring to as "scrollback" is the terminal's scrollback rather than
screen's scrollback.

I'd consider a terminal's scrollback to be the lines of terminal output
that can be viewed by scrolling up using the GUI scrollbar or mouse's
scroll wheel.

Screen's scrollback is the lines of terminal history kept in screen's
history buffer for a given screen window.  This can be viewed by
issuing C-A C-[ then navigating with vi-like commands such as C-B and
C-F.

I actually didn't know this was even possible. Just tested, and this works.

Which of these types of scrollback are you not able to see?

If it is the terminal's scrollback, you may need to tell screen not to
use the parent terminal's "alternate screen".  If so, put this in your
.screenrc:

termcapinfo * ti@:te@

I already had 'termcapinfo xterm "ti@:te@"' in my .screenrc. I've changed the 'xterm' to '*' and it fixed the problem. I can now use shift-pgup/dwn for terminal scrollback history. It looks like the big change was in the name of the default terminal that's used now in fedora20 versus the one I previously used in fedora18.

I've also searched for all other occurrences of "xterm" in my .screenrc, and evaluating whether they need to be changed as well.

I'll go through the rest of the messages from everyone, but this was the main issue, and for that, I thank you all very much!

Thanks again,
Alex