get information about screen windows

From: Hauke Laging
Subject: get information about screen windows
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 02:33:12 +0100

Hello,

I run two scripts simultaneously within screen. screen is started by a
script. I am working on a method for automatic window selection
depending on the state of the scripts. This works (screen -S mysession
select win1) but for certain improvements I need information (i.e. a
script needs it thus interactive features are of little use) about the
windows (and the processes within):

 1)   How can I determine the tty (/dev/pts/xy) that belongs to a
certain window?

 2)  How can I determine which is the foreground / active window?

Answering (1) would be possible by running tty after starting the new
window and write its output somewhere. But a screen-internal solution
would be more elegant and easier to implement (I guess).

Interactively the commands windowlist and windows give the answer to (2)
but I haven't managed to get this output as input into a script.
Furthermore: Coding this information as highlighting is nice for the
user but not so nice for a script.

Hauke
--
Crypto für alle: http://www.openpgp-schulungen.de/fuer/unterstuetzer/