Re: multiple child windows for screen

From: rufino
Subject: Re: multiple child windows for screen
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 13:22:10 -0400

thanks, alex:

i think my issue is that i am using m$ based secured crt, not x-window based (my standard company issued equipment).

but thanks for the tips, at least i know what to do if i use linux.

best

_rufino

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 2:40 PM, Axel Beckert <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 01:53:56PM -0400, rufino wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Phil! Gold <address@hidden> wrote:
> > * rufino <address@hidden> [2012-08-30 12:50 -0400]:
> > > i am newbie for screen. is there a way to open, say, two or three screen
> > > session simultaneously on one display?
> >
> > Yep.  Use `screen -x` to attach while other sessions are already connected.
>
> what i am looking for is something like split displays. say i have
> 4 separated sessions, i would like to have them displayed on my 24" monitor
> simultaneously:
>
> ___________________
> |               |                |
> |               |                |
> ---------------------------------
> |               |                |
> |               |                |
> ---------------------------------
>
> is that possible with screen utilities?

Sorry, but I'm still not sure what exactly you want to achieve, so I'm
trying to guess:

As far as I understand your quest, it should suffice to take four
xterms, resize each to 1/4th of your screen and start a screen session
in each.

But that's so trivial that I suspect I still haven't understood the
problem.

Depending on the window manager (e.g. awesome, i3, ratpoison, FVWM,
etc), this is also scriptable, too. Less trivial then, but still... On
a Mac, iTerm may be the right programinstead of the window manager. to
layout the terminals in which the screen sessions will run.

But you can also run screens inside screen. Split the outer screen
using Ctrl-A S and Ctrl-A | until you have the wanted layout, then
start a shell in each window and start a new screen session in each,
and you should get the same layout, just in one X terminal.

                Kind regards, Axel
--
/~\  Plain Text Ribbon Campaign                   | Axel Beckert
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | address@hidden  (Mail)