Re: New release

From: Brian Kroth
Subject: Re: New release
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 10:47:52 -0500

Axel Beckert <address@hidden> 2012-07-31 16:45:
Hi,

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 08:43:25AM -0500, Brian Kroth wrote:
Debian's experimental branch at least has a git based package now,

It's in Debian Unstable for about 1.5 months now and in Debian Testing
for about three weeks. :-)

from a quick glance, is the only major distro out there to have one.

Ubuntu will likely adopt the package from Debian, but maybe not for
their upcoming 12.10 release anymore.

Thanks to Julien Cristau there is now a patch for the 4.0.3
interoperability issue:

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/screen.git;a=commitdiff;h=8700b331b4071c8158be4d6891cb7909859165a9

It looks fine after some initial testing and I'll soon upload a
package to Debian Unstable including this patch. The package will
likely make it in the next Debian Stable release.

While testing that patch, I though noticed a few unexpected things
with regards to locking screen which also happen without the patch.
More details later though as I'm currently busy with other things.

That's great news! The upgrade interoperability issue was holding me up from pushing that everywhere as well. I will definitely test that out later in August once I have a chance.

We have hundreds of machines that we use screen on, so for ease of maintenance purposes we tend to roll with whatever the distro has in their package system, rather than either trying to maintain our own package or keeping a git copy around everywhere. For me, that's the main reason in wanting a "stable" release. I know at least some, if not many, others are in a similar boat. So yes, in that sense, it is a little like the OS X issue someone described earlier.

Anyways, thanks a lot,
Brian