Re: Two column layout

From: Axel Beckert
Subject: Re: Two column layout
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 19:22:26 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 12:51:37PM -0500, Kevin Van Workum wrote:
> > > Is it possible to have two panes hold a single window (much like a two
> > > column layout in a magazine)?
> > >
> > > It'd be sweet to have

> > > where A, B, C, D, E, F are sequential lines from, say, a text editor
> > > and | is a screen split.  Especially on a wide-but-not-tall monitor.
> >
> > Try Ctrl-A | (i.e. the pipe symbol). Should do it with more recent
> > versions of screen.
> >

> I don't think that's what the OP meant. He's looking for a single window
> with 2 columns. Not 2 windows with 1 column each.

Ah, sorry, you're right, I misunderstood him.

> The left column would have lines 1 to N/2 and the right column would
> have lines N/2+1 to N. I suppose the cursor would be located in the
> right column and as the window buffer filled, the left column would
> scroll the top portion of the buffer.
>
> I'm not sure this is possible, but it would be useful.

Yeah, never saw such a feature mentioned in GNU Screen.

But GNU Emacs can do such things. I just checked, it even works with a
shell (but not with fullscreen ncurses/slang applications like mc or
ncdu):

M-x shell (start a shell)
C-x 3 (split into to columns)
M-x follow-mode (turn the above mentioned feature on)
ls -la ~ (command with a long output)

                Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | address@hidden  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.asciiribbon.org/              | address@hidden (Mail+Jabber)