Re: screen-users Digest, Vol 1212, Issue 1

From: Artur Skonecki
Subject: Re: screen-users Digest, Vol 1212, Issue 1
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 05:27:55 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011, Edward Peschko wrote:
I understand the problem with maintainer's time.. but it is
frustrating not having new features
to play around with. Is there at least a packaged alpha release to
play around with? I don't
see any new files in the gnu download directory, and I'm hesitant to
use the git cutting edge branch..

Using git sources is not that bad. It is certainly better than staying
with 4.0.3. New features are real game-changers.
Avoiding the following should keep you of trouble:
- try to open :windowlist inside a group when :monitor got set off
  in any other window in the group
- run ":at WIN_WITH_SET_OFF_MONITOR group G"
- a similar issue with :silence which I didn't investigate closer
- rare random crashes which were probably caused by ":at NUM kill"

There is no official alpha release but you can use Screen sources
included with screen-session. It has, probably, almost the same set of
bugs, except that it does not crash when :monitor is used. As a bonus,
Screen exhibits copy mode funkiness (only after "screen-session load"
when there are 3, or more, regions in a layout), i.e. try to start
scrolling in copy mode in the second region and you may get improper
refreshing or even the contents of the window in the first region and
eventually crash if you select any text).
As a workaround :bind [ eval "colon" "stuff copy^M"

Since everyone uses Screen in a different way, I am sure there are many
more ways to fail.

There are other features that screen should support natively which
have been irksome:
multiple, named, buffers for one. (why force only one buffer to be
set/accessed (key combo ctrl-a ]?
why not supplement this with ctrl - a \ <letter> to get 52?)

Registers can do it:

bind \\ command -c class_paste_register

bind -c class_paste_register . paste .
bind -c class_paste_register a paste a
bind -c class_paste_register b paste b

bind / command -c class_send_copy_to_register

bind -c class_send_copy_to_register a paste . a
bind -c class_send_copy_to_register b paste . b

# and so on...