Re: Using screen after sudo bash

From: Kipling Inscore
Subject: Re: Using screen after sudo bash
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 08:13:18 -0700

hu, May 26, 2011 at 07:09, John K. Sherwood <address@hidden> wrote:
> The situation I was talking about was the first one:
>
>        user$ sudo bash
>        password:
>        root# screen
>
> I understand that if it is run by root you might expect it to spawn shells
> as the user root; however, if you run the utility 'w' you can see that the
> system maintains a distinction between users escalated to root via sudo
> bash or vs users actually logged in as root, as follows:
>
>        user$ sudo bash
>        Password:
>        root# w
>         10:00:55 up 18:43, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
>        USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE JCPU PCPU WHAT
>        imauser pts/1 machine.domain. 08:43 0.00s 0.01s 0.00s sshd: imauser
> [priv]
>
>        root# screen
>        root# w
>         10:03:07 up 18:45,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
>        USER     TTY      FROM              LOGIN@   IDLE   JCPU   PCPU WHAT
>        root     pts/4    machine:S.1      10:03    0.00s  0.00s  0.00s w
>

> I guess that the bottom line is that you lose the sshd task somehow when
> you run screen, removing the indication of who is logged in and using sudo
> bash currently.

sshd is still running and the user is still logged in through it. Even
the tty (pts) for sshd is still there.

Screen creates a new pts tty; because screen was launched by root,
root owns that new tty (notice it's pts/4, where the user's was
pts/1).
What I find interesting here is that the user's tty isn't showing up
while running screen. When screen exits, it should show again (as it
does for me). I found that similar happens without sudo, it's just
more subtle--that is:

user$ who
user tty1         May 20 19:33
user tty7         May 20 19:25 (:0)
user pts/0        May 21 06:00 (:0.0)
user pts/1        May 26 08:04 (:0.0)

user$ tty
/dev/pts/1

user$ ls -l /dev/pts
crw--w---- 1 user tty  136, 6 May 21 06:00 0
crw--w---- 1 user tty  136, 6 May 26 08:04 1
c--------- 1 root     root   5, 2 May 20 19:23 ptmx

user$ screen

user$ who
user tty1         May 20 19:33
user tty7         May 20 19:25 (:0)
user pts/0        May 21 06:00 (:0.0)
user pts/2        May 26 08:04 (:0.0)

user$ tty
/dev/pts/2

user$ ls -l /dev/pts
crw--w---- 1 user tty  136, 6 May 21 06:00 0
crw--w---- 1 user tty  136, 6 May 26 08:04 1
crw--w---- 1 root tty  136, 6 May 26 08:04 2
c--------- 1 root     root   5, 2 May 20 19:23 ptmx

user$ exit

user$ who
user tty1         May 20 19:33
user tty7         May 20 19:25 (:0)
user pts/0        May 21 06:00 (:0.0)
user pts/1        May 26 08:04 (:0.0)

user$ tty
/dev/pts/1

user$ ls -l /dev/pts
crw--w---- 1 user tty  136, 6 May 21 06:00 0
crw--w---- 1 user tty  136, 6 May 26 08:04 1
c--------- 1 root     root   5, 2 May 20 19:23 ptmx

While screen is running, the tty (at least if it's a pts) from which
screen was launched still exists (and is still owned by user, not
root) but isn't listed by w or who. Perhaps it's something to do with
how w and who work or what happens on the tty from which screen was
launched while screen is running.
I would recommend investigating w and who (unless someone else on the
screen list has a suggestion).