Re: Jumping straight into screen, but not missing motd, etc.

From: Dustin Kirkland
Subject: Re: Jumping straight into screen, but not missing motd, etc.
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 15:55:01 -0700

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 10:09 AM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
>  I 'screen -D -R' everytime I log into a system and just detach and
> logout immediately every time I leave.
>
>  I've seen various .profile tricks for doing this automatically on
> login, but most seem fritzy if anything goes wrong and, especially, they
> cause me to not see any important messages that the machine blasts out
> on first logging in.
>
>  Is there some stable, reasonable way to 'screen -D -R' every time I
> log in _and_ have screen pop open a new screen containing any unusual
> information on login?

Howdy,

We have solid support for this within the byobu [1] project, which is
a wrapper and a set of helpers for GNU Screen.

Many (most?) byobu users have configured it to launch-by-default on
every login.  You can select this through
F9->Toggle-on-launch-by-default.  On your next login, byobu will
automatically launch, creating a new screen session if none exists,
reattaching to one if only one exists, and prompt you with a list of
sessions if more than one exists.  On fresh logins, it will also
display the MOTD with the first shell launch.

[1] http://launchpad.net/byobu

Cheers,
:-Dustin