Re: On Screen and XTerm and automatic window resizing...

From: Jostein Berntsen
Subject: Re: On Screen and XTerm and automatic window resizing...
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 21:28:49 +0200

On 31.05.10,22:16, Maciej Żenczykowski wrote:
> Here's what I would like to achieve (in my particular case I only care
> about [ie. use] the programmatically resizeable XTerm and [rarely] the
> non-resize'able linux console):
>
> - if I open a new screen session on a terminal of W columns and H
> lines, I would like screen to startup with that size.
> - when I resize the terminal with my mouse I would like screen to
> remember the new size
> - when I detach screen it could either leave the terminal size alone
> or resize it back to the size from before it was started (either way
> is fine).
>
> - if I reattach to an existing screen my terminal should automatically
> resize to whatever was the previous size of the screen (ie. before
> detach)
> - when I resize it, it should remember the new size
> - when I detach screen it should return to the size of the terminal
> from before the reattach
>
> (bonus points if you can get the terminal's on screen location and
> font size to be saved as well...)
>
> It looks like something along these lines can be done with a .screenrc entry
> of:
>
> termcapinfo WS Z0@:Z1@:WS=\E[8;%d;%dt
>
> But this doesn't do what I want it to (it seems to always resize to 80x24).
>
> Is functionality like this simply not-implemented, or am I doing
> something wrong?

Here is from the manual:

"  -A   Adapt  the  sizes of all windows to the size of the current
terminal.  By default, screen tries to restore  its  old  window  sizes
when  attaching  to  resizable  terminals  (those with "WS" in its
description, e.g. suncmd or some xterm)."

Can you use this option?

Jostein