Unable to use mouse wheel scrolling in screen under gnome-terminal

From: Leo Alekseyev
Subject: Unable to use mouse wheel scrolling in screen under gnome-terminal
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 04:26:12 -0600

I am seeing the following behavior in screen under gnome-terminal in
Ubuntu 9.10: I can scroll using ctrl-shift-arrows or ctrl-shift-page
up/page down, but the using the mousewheel is equivalent to pressing
up/down arrow keys (i.e. scrolling through command history). With
xterm and rxvt, mouse wheel scrolling works as expected.  Moreover,
scrolling works fine under gnome-terminal if I comment out hardstatus
alwayslastline in my .screenrc.

I was wondering if others can reproduce this, and if there is a fix for this.

I have the following lines in my .screenrc:
termcapinfo           linux           ti@:te@
termcapinfo           xterm     ti@:te@
termcapinfo           xterm-color     ti@:te@

Thanks!