Re: Copy-scrollback mode -- VIsual feedback in window caption?

From: Sadrul Habib Chowdhury
Subject: Re: Copy-scrollback mode -- VIsual feedback in window caption?
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 17:13:57 -0500

* Chris Jones had this to say on [15 Dec 2009, 16:22:07 -0500]:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 04:10:42PM EST, Sadrul Habib Chowdhury wrote:
> > * Chris Jones had this to say on [15 Dec 2009, 15:08:57 -0500]:
> > [snip]
>

> > > Without additional changes to the code, is there any way I could
> > > display the x,y coordinates of the cursor position as the transient
> > > message does?
> > >
> > > Something like:

> > > Copy-mode Column xxx, Line yyy
> > >
> > > Useful in contexts where the cursor is difficult to spot. I
> > > sometimes have this problem on some web pages with the ELinks web
> > > browser.
> > >
> > > Naturally, what I mean is the x,y within the page that's displayed
> > > in the view port, not relative to the entire scroll-back buffer.
>
> > Pressing Ctrl+G in copy-mode will show that.
>
> Oh, very useful, and vim-like as well.. very nice.
>
> Although what I had in mind was something that would display permanently
> and that would refresh itself automatically when the cursor is moved,
> similar to Vim's 'statusline' items 'l' and 'v'.

There's nothing in the existing code that will make that happen. From the
earlier mail:

        A vim-like caption could indeed be useful. It can be done by, for
        example, interpreting the escape sequences differently when in
        copy/mode.  But I really really don't want that to happen. I think
        it'd be much better to leave that kind of thing to scripts (when the
        support for that gets a bit more mature).

Cheers,
Sadrul