Re: Query info from an existing screen session?

From: Ryan Lynch
Subject: Re: Query info from an existing screen session?
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 18:46:35 -0400

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 18:32, Ryan Lynch <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 15:58, Sadrul Habib Chowdhury <address@hidden> wrote:
>> properly produce the response to send back as the query result. I am
>> going to update the 'info', 'lastmsg' and 'windows' commands for this
>> first. What other commands do you think a script might want to query?
>
> Great to hear that, I'll get a lot of use out of that feature.  I
> think 'displays' and 'echo' belong on the "must-have" list.
>
> Some kind of access to the registers would be really helpful--here's a
> suggestion:
>
>  - the 'paste' command accepts '-' (dash) as a special register name
>  - any data 'paste'ed to the destination reg '-' gets piped to the
> application process's standard output
>
> 'dinfo' would be nice to have, too, but that's not really critical.

Also, on a slightly related note, do you (or anybody, really) know
whether the patch described in the 2nd answer, here, was ever
submitted for inclusion?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1318210/gnu-screen-environment-variables

It allows a usage like this:

^A :readbuf !cat $HOME/projects/foobar/file.txt

which just reads the content of that file into the buffer.

-Ryan