when running vim under Solaris, terminal doesn't refresh properly

From: Langella Raphael
Subject: when running vim under Solaris, terminal doesn't refresh properly
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 17:06:42 +0200

Hi,
I'm running GNU Screen 4.00.02 under Linux RHEL 4u5. vim works fine under
Linux, but if I ssh to a Solaris machine from within screen, then I've got some
problem with vim. When I edit a file, I've got some garbage after the end of
line. Characters from the file I'm editing are properly displayed, but when the
line is short and doesn't fill up my screen, the end is not cleared, I see some
leftovers from my shell session or from previous vim edit.
    I've tried to change the term to xterm, sun-color or the default
screen-bce, but it's the same. I've tried with vim 6.3 and the latest 7.2, same
problem. I'm not sure if the problem comes from screen or vim or Solaris. I've
also tried to google for it, but I find this problem very hard to describe with
keywords. Some directions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your attention.

Raphaƫl Langella