RFC: "event" logging

From: Paul Hoffman
Subject: RFC: "event" logging
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 18:09:55 -0400

I'd like to add simple logging of important "events" in screen (a new
window is created, the user switches to another window, the session is
detached, etc.).  Before I start coding, I'm wondering if anyone else is
interested in this or has comments.

Here's a rough cut at documentation additions:

----------- >8 ----------- >8 ----------- >8 ----------- >8 -----------

COMMAND-LINE OPTIONS
       -E file
            turn on automatic event logging to the given file.  See the
            EVENT LOGGING chapter and the "eventlog" .screenrc command
            for details.

DEFAULT KEY BINDINGS
       C-a E         Begins/ends event logging.

CUSTOMIZATION
       eventlog [on|off]

       Turn event logging on or off.  Event logging is off by default.

       eventlogfile filename

       Specify the file to which events are logged.  A small subset of
       string escapes may be used in the filename argument to divide
       event logging among several files:

       S      session name
       n      window number
       d      day number
       D      day name
       Y      full year number
       m      month number
       M      month name

       eventlogtstamp [on|off]
       eventlogtstamp string [string]

       This command controls the event logfile time-stamp mechanism of
       screen.  If time-stamps  are  turned  "on" (the default),  screen
       adds a string containing the current time at the beginning of
       each line it writes to the event logfile.  The second form is
       used for customizing the time-stamp string (`%Y-%m-%dT%0c:%s' by
       %default).

EVENT LOGGING

       If event logging is turned on (via the -E option or the
       "eventlog" command), a message will be written to the specified
       file each time any one of several significant events takes place.

       The events are logged using the following printf(1) formats:

       session %s begun
       session %s detached
       session %s attached by user %s
       session %s renamed: %s
       session %s ended
       window %d begun: %s
       window %d unfocused
       window %d focused
       window %s renamed: %s
       window %s ended

       Each message is preceded by a timestamp in the form
       YYYY-mm-ddTHH:MM:SS (the "eventlogtstamp" command may be used to
       turn this off or customize the timestamp format).

Looking at the code, this doesn't seem to be too hard to add (famous
last words).  My one worry is that splitting event logging among
multiple files is too complicated; perhaps it would be best to just log
everything in a single file.  And there should be a default
eventlogfile, but I haven't thought that through yet.

Thanks,

Paul.

--
Paul Hoffman <address@hidden>