Midnight Commander doesn't run well within screen

From: www.givemefish.com
Subject: Midnight Commander doesn't run well within screen
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 11:27:39 +0100

Hi all,

I am wondering if this is a configuration problem, or a problem w/screen
 or Midnight Commander.

When I run Midnight Commander within screen, the toggle to/from the
subshell (invoked by C-o) doesn't work.  On pressing C-o in MC, I can
get to the command line, but everything above the command line is blank.
 So I can't see any previous output.

This is essential functionality for MC.  If I can't resolve this, I
would probably stop using screen (which I definitely don't want to do).

This problem is the same under Gnome Terminal as well as XTerm.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Matt.