git clone build instructions

From: Keith Miller
Subject: git clone build instructions
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 12:30:31 -0800

Forgive me for asking such a naive question, but after searching through the archives I am unable to find instructions for how to build from a fresh git clone.  I was successful with the CVS checkouts in the past, but I just don't know how to drive autoconf, or whatever to complete the necessary files so that a traditional "./configure --enable-colors256; make; make install" does what it should.

I'd be content to use the 4.0.3 packages except that I already rely on vertical split too much.  Please help.

Thank you!