Re: screen on linux vs freebsd

From: Micah Cowan
Subject: Re: screen on linux vs freebsd
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 09:56:27 -0800

Michael Grant wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Michael Grant <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I have both a linux box and a freebsd box.  I have just started using
>> screen on the linux box.  There seems to be some very definite
>> differences in behavior between the two.
>>
>> On the linux box, using putty, screen doesn't seem to let me use
>> putty's scroll buffer.   In other words, as lines scroll off the top
>> of the visible area of the tty, they are gone.  Unlike freebsd where
>> when lines scroll off the screen, they are in Putty's scroll buffer
>> and I can use the scroll bar to scroll up and see them as if the tty
>> were really a long paper scroll.
>>
>> I'm not talking about screen's buffer, I'm referring to the scroll
>> buffer that's part of my terminal program, putty.
>>
>> Incidentally, and I don't know if this is related, on linux, when I
>> more or vi a file, when I quit (or even when I stop the process),
>> linux redraws the screen that was there before I started more or vi.
>> I would call this a sort of "save under", as in something saved the
>> state of the screen that was under the edit session and restored it
>> after.  I never saw this behavior on freebsd.
>>
>> I would like to be able to scroll back up to things in putty's scroll
>> back buffer on linux. How does one control this on linux?
>>
>> As an idea, it would be really cool and useful if somehow putty's
>> scroll back buffer was somehow linked to screen's buffer so the putty
>> scroll bar would let me scroll up.  On freebsd I can mimic that by
>> repainting the scroll buffer each time I switch screens, but you see
>> it, and you loose any color.  I don't know any way to tie the scroll
>> bar to anything because as far as I know, there's no escape codes
>> associated with the scroll bar which is a shame.
>>
>> But aside from this idea, is there any way I can get a similar
>> behavior on linux as freebsd?
>>
>> Michael Grant
>>

> I just figured out how to do this.  In Putty, Terminal->Features, the
> box next to "Disable switching to alternate terminal screen" must be
> checked.

See the FAQ on the Wiki (currently the top item: "How do I get screen to
put things into my terminal's scrollback?") for an alternative method,
and reasons why it may not be advisable (in particular, in combination
with switching from one screen to another).

- --
Micah J. Cowan
Programmer, musician, typesetting enthusiast, gamer.
GNU Maintainer: wget, screen, teseq
http://micah.cowan.name/