Re: Screen has odd blank out behaviour

From: Trent W. Buck
Subject: Re: Screen has odd blank out behaviour
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 12:15:36 +1100

E69 <address@hidden> writes:

> Trent,
>
> Thanks you for the critique and good example.  I'll try again.

Thanks, this is much easier to understand!

> Steps to reproduce:
>   use a .screenrc configuration that only sets the term to xterm-color
>   open a gnu screen session
>   press return 4 times so you have some lines to use for judging
>   enter emacs
>   exit   emacs
>
> What Happens:
>   the prompt is now located on 6th line
>   the lines entered before starting emacs including the line you typed emacs
> on are not visible
>
> What I expect:
>   the 4 lines I hit enter for and the line I type the emacs command on to be
> visible when I exit emacs.
>
> I've performed these steps in the following environments with the same
> results:
> Apple Terminal.app
> Apple X11 xterm
> Apple X11 xterm ssh'ed to Ubuntu
> Apple Terminal.app ssh'ed fedora
> Ubuntu gnome-terminal

This is not a symptom I've run across before; I mostly use Debian and
Ubuntu systems, with xterm or rxvt-unicode.

I assume you're running Emacs within scren -- that is, it does not open
a separate Emacs window?  If in screen you type ^A:altscreen, does it
say "Will not do alternate screen switching" ?  If so, that means
altscreen *was* on.