Re: Raggle

From: Dan Mahoney, System Admin
Subject: Re: Raggle
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 14:28:10 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Pia Mikeal wrote:

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Micah Cowan wrote:

That's part of it, my .cshrc contains:

if ($TERM == "screen") then
alias precmd    'printf "\033%s%s %s\033\\" "k" "tcsh" "[$HOST]"'
alias postcmd 'printf "\033%s%s %s %s\033\\" "k" "\!#:0" "\!#:$" "[$HOST]"'
endif

I'm just wondering why the shell sees the invocation of those commands. Shouldn't alpine just be "like another shell"?

No, because alpine is not another csh shell. csh, or even tcsh or other C-shells that look for .cshrc are the only commands/programs that will read your cshrc file upon startup like that.

Yes, and that's my point -- if from csh I start, say, "bash", then csh will not run the precmd and postcmd for every command within bash -- it's just running "bash". Trying this in screen proves this.

So why is it that commands run within alpine get displayed (and stuck) as my title? Only thing I can think of is that alpine uses the shell's built in job control and "backgrounds" itself. And yet Alpine has a knob specifically in its config to enable whether or not you can suspend it.

I've been using unix for upwards of ten years now and never really bothered to learn about the foreground/background/jobs processes of shells. It seems counter-intuitive to use these, since I have screen to do all that and more.

A similar argument, by way of explanation, is why I can't stand tabbed browsing, which seems to be all the rage now...I use alt-tab to switch processes, and rely on the title info and/or image of the current tab.

-Dan