backspace and tab broken?

From: Pia Mikeal
Subject: backspace and tab broken?
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 16:12:29 -0500 (EST)

Greetings,

I am not sure if this is a bug in screen or something else, but screen seems to be a package I can take out of the equation and the problem goes away. Here is my issue, at the commandline, my virtual terminal prints odd diamond shaped characters to the screen when hitting tab or backspace ^? and ^t cause this same odd behavior. I always run screen version 4.00.03 (FAU) and is the default Debian package of screen distributed with Kubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04.1 LTS but I had this problem after I upgraded to Hardy (via a clean install from CD) even when running the latest version of screen I compiled myself. I am unsure if screen is the actual problem or if it is just a clue into the actual problem, since this behavior is not exhibited except for when running screen. This problem is also intermittent, but occurs 90% of the time. I can run a session for not long at all before it starts exhibiting this aberrant behavior. Has anyone else run into this or have any ideas about what might be going on here? I have tried to search for this on the web but had no luck hunting down other incidents of it on any forums. One more odd thing to note, sometimes I use yasr (text to speech software) and it has the ability to announce the ASCII value for any character, but what displays as an odd diamond shape, just shows up as whatever character it should be, eg. tab if it was a tab pressed.

TIA and Regards,

Pia Mikeal
System Administrator
Markey Center for Structural Biology