problem with screen.rxvt TERM and less

From: Henry S. Thompson
Subject: problem with screen.rxvt TERM and less
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 15:57:55 +0000

I built screen 4.0.3 from source, with cygwin patches, on cygwin, with
ncurses 5.7, and rxvt for my terminal emulator.

The 'less' program has an irritating fault in this configuration which
I can't figure out how to work around:

 * When using less in a vanilla rxvt window, the screen returns to its
   pre-less state after quitting less -- good.

 * When using less in a screen-managed window, with TERM=screen.rxvt,
   the screen shows the last page displayed by less after quitting
   less -- not good.

Do others have this problem?  Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

ht
                         Half-time member of W3C Team
                Fax: (44) 131 651-1426, e-mail: address@hidden