Re: Very bad/slow redraw with vertical split.

From: Robin Lee Powell
Subject: Re: Very bad/slow redraw with vertical split.
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 11:34:16 -0700

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 02:26:30PM +0100, Thomas Adam wrote:
> Hello --
>
> 2008/10/24 Robin Lee Powell <address@hidden>:
> >
> > I'm playing around with vertical split.  I'm using Screen
> > version 4.00.03jw4 (FAU) 2-May-06 on Debian.
> >
> > When I have vertical split on, less is slow.  *Really* slow.  So
> > is more.  vim is OK.  When I say "slow", I mean that when I say
> > "less file", it takes ~20 seconds for it to put the first
> > screenful of data up.
> >
> > Any idea what's up?
>
> It's a known caveat of vertical splits in screen.  Screen has to
> continually redraw the region and so that slows things down.

I had a giant post written about how vertical splits in emacs and
vim are quite fast, and how running vim under a vertical split in
screen is also snappy, as opposed to running less, so there *must*
be a problem somewhere...

And then I realized that when you page down in vim, it redraws its
display area once.  When you page down in less, it redraws line by
line.

-_-

Holding down j in vim to make it redraw line by line makes
everything just as slow as less.

So.

Can anyone reccomend a less (ha!) stupid pager?  more does the same
thing, and I can't view man pages like this.

less -c mostly does the trick...  Except that the initial screen
clear to put the cursor at the top line is done the slow way, and
hence takes ~30 seconds.  "clear ; less -c [file]" works, but I'd
love a better suggestion.

-Robin

--
They say:  "The first AIs will be built by the military as weapons."
And I'm thinking:  "Does it even occur to you to try for something