Re: Promote Screen? Include .screenrc!

From: Eric S. Johansson
Subject: Re: Promote Screen? Include .screenrc!
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 08:55:09 -0400

address@hidden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using screen for many years now, and find it indispensable.  Still,
> I know quite some people, who never managed to get a hold of it. The initial
> learning curve is too steep for them, I guess...

I use screen because I have to, not because I want to. What I value most about
screen is the ability to preserve a running session should I lose my connection.
 What I value second is the ability to share a session.    What I value least is
the multiple windows stuff and all that crap... err, those features.

I found dtach which is 90% of what I need and I created a wrapper (Boleyn) to
try automatically reestablish connections on login but, I ran into some problems
and I haven't had time to revisit it.

If I were a code god (which I most certainly am not), I would give screen a mode
where it does nothing but share and preserve connections and reestablish a
connection automatically if one is available.  Although it probably be easier to
start with dtach if I can ever figure out how to differentiate between a "in
use" connection versus a detached connection.

However, if you're trying to push screen adoption, your suggestions are good
ones.  You could probably help matters/adoption if you created a "GUI" tool
usign dialogue with an eye to easing the option discovery process.