vim black areas after starting screen

From: Chris Henderson
Subject: vim black areas after starting screen
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 20:53:06 +1000

I have a problem which is a bit hard to describe. Here's a background
on my system: bash shell, term outside screen is xterm-color, term
inside screen is screen.

Once I am inside screen and want to vim edit, say, a 5 line PHP file,
the 5 line of code will be color but the rest of the file will be
black. But my shell or vim background is always white. Now if I go to
that black region and keep hitting enter (or return) the black region
will turn into white. I also have this issue when I ssh to another
host from inside screen: the bash shell of that host will be black
(while it's supposed to be white).

I am not sure if I could elaborate on the problem correctly as it's
kind of strange and annoying.

If anyone could help me with this issue and need more information
please let me know. Thanks for any help.

Here's my .screenrc:
defscrollback 50000
defescape ^Vv
escape ^Vv
idle 3600 lockscreen
msgminwait 3
msgwait 30
startup_message off
vbell on                               # default: off
vbell_msg " -- huh? --   "   # default: "Wuff,Wuff!!"
hardstatus on
hardstatus alwayslastline
hardstatus alwayslastline "%{=b}%{G} Screen(s): %{b}%w %=%{kG}%C%A
termcapinfo xterm|xterm-color|xterms|xs|rxvt ti@:te@