Re: How to make F1/F2/F3/F4 usable in screen emacs?

From: Phil! Gregory
Subject: Re: How to make F1/F2/F3/F4 usable in screen emacs?
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 09:09:39 -0500

* address@hidden <address@hidden> [2008-01-22 18:49 +0800]:
> Thanks Michael, :) It's work fine for me. But I am still wondering. Does
> Putty steal away F1/F2/F3/F4 keys or other
> applications?

PuTTY sends the same escape sequences as (IIRC) the linux console for
F1-F4 by default.  This is a problem because it sets its $TERM to 'xterm',
which on many systems has different F1-F4 escape sequences.  You may be
able to fix yhe behavior by going into the PuTTY config, changing the
setting about the function keys to (again, IIRC) 'xterm R6' and saving
that in your default settings.

--- --
A good question is never answered.  It is not a bolt to be tightened into
place but a seed to be planted and to bear more seed toward the hope of
greening the landscape of idea.
                       -- John Ciardi