Re: Cannot find termcap entry

From: Micah Cowan
Subject: Re: Cannot find termcap entry
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 11:01:30 -0700

Miroslaw Dach wrote:
> Dear All,
>
>       I have cross compiled screen for my embedded system (ppc405 based).
> Screen seems to wrok fine with my server program.
>
> I have started it like that:
>
> screen -t MYSERVER -d -m /tmp/my_server
>
> When I want to attache to the running server I get a message:
>
> screen -r
> Cannot find termcap entry for 'xterm'
>
> The root files system which I use is based on busybox.
>
> Would somebody have an idea what to do to solve this problem.

It means you probably need to copy a termcap entry for xterm into the
server's /etc/termcap. If you have a vt100 entry, you may be able to get
away with just that, by setting the TERM environment variable to vt100
instead of xterm. Or, you may be able to use the xterm TERM setting, by
modifying the first bit of the vt100 entry from something like this:

  vt100|vt100-am|dec vt100:\

to:

  xterm|vt100|vt100-am|dec vt100:\

(that is, add the xterm in there).