Re: 256 colors

From: Nikolai Weibull
Subject: Re: 256 colors
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 21:56:59 +0200

On 4/23/07, Alain Bench <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello Nikolai,

 On Saturday, April 21, 2007 at 16:25:13 +0200, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

> I've posted a suggestion for a screen-256color terminfo entry, but
> I don't think it's been picked up for the distribution, yet.

    An enhanced version of your entry is included in the official
terminfo database coming with Ncurses 5.6, since 2006-10-07, together
with some variations around (BCE or not, hardstatus or not, 16 or 256
colors):

"Enhanced"?  ;-)

This is great news.  Perhaps I won't have to keep my screen-256color
on a USB stick anymore.

| # Those variations permit to benefit from 16 colors palette, and from
| # bold font and blink attribute separated from bright colors. But they
| # are less portable than the generic "screen" 8 color entries: Their
| # usage makes real sense only if the terminals you attach and reattach
| # do all support 16 color palette.

Or 256 (or 88, which no one uses).

    Database surely deployed everywhere before second quarter 2038.

Right before time_t wraps.

 nikolai